[mou] Cattle Egret, Phalarope

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:33:16 -0500

This evening while birding around Lake Osakis I discovered a bunch of
yellowlegs 1.2 miles NE of where CR10 meets CR3 north of Osakis. Here is
where I also found a Dunlin running around and surprisingly I also had a
Wilson's Phalarope in with the yellowlegs. I thought I was having great
luck, but the birds just started. I drove 0.8 miles south from here, and I
noticed a white bird on the lawn of a trailer park. I slammed on the brakes
and I jumped out and there it was, a cattle egret just strolling on the
grass eating away. I think the bird was laughing at me, coming within a half
mile of the Todd County border, but not crossing it. Anyway it was really
fun finding this bird. Maybe it's on its way to Bah Lakes WMA?
Also the lake held its numerous Western and Red-necked Grebes. Forster's
Terns were also in numbers on the lake as well.

Ben Fritchman
Long Prairie, Todd County