[mou] Hudsonian Godwits and others, Dakota County

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:29:56 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C42BB4.17B8C830

This afternoon I checked out Lake Byllesby, Dakota County to see if I =
could find any Willets or godwits that had been previously reported.  I =
parked at the pull off on the south side of the tracks at the NW part of =
the lake along CR 88.  This parking area is just west of the cemetery =
parking area.  I then walked down to the beachline and set up my scope =
from there.  Most of the shorebirds were yellowlegs (both Greater and =
Lesser), but I did find a group of 4 Hudsonian Godwits standing out in =
the water among the yellowlegs.  One of the godwits was a male in =
breeding plumage, while the other three were females.  The females can =
appear similar to Marbled Godwits when not flying, so take care when =
looking at these birds (I didn't see any Marbled there and don't know if =
any have been seen at Byllesby yet this year).  I later found the single =
Willet farther out in the water behind a flock of Bonaparte's Gulls.  =
Interestingly, one of these Bonaparte's was very pinkish on the =
underparts.  I don't know how rare this coloration is in Bonaparte's, =
but I know many other gull species can show it.
On the way back I stopped by the 180th Street marsh and was able to find =
the Long-tailed Duck in the second pond on the south side of the road =
going east.
Good birding!
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C42BB4.17B8C830

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This afternoon I checked out Lake =
Byllesby, Dakota=20
County to see if I could find any Willets or godwits that had been =
previously=20
reported.&nbsp; I parked at the pull off on the south side of the tracks =
at the=20
NW part of the lake along CR&nbsp;88.&nbsp; This parking area is just =
west of=20
the cemetery parking area.&nbsp; I then walked down to the beachline and =
set up=20
my scope from there.&nbsp; Most of the shorebirds were yellowlegs (both =
Greater=20
and Lesser), but I did find a group of 4 Hudsonian Godwits standing out =
in the=20
water among the yellowlegs.&nbsp; One of the godwits was a male in =
breeding=20
plumage, while the other three were females.&nbsp; The females can =
appear=20
similar to Marbled Godwits when not flying, so take care when looking at =
these=20
birds (I didn't see any Marbled there and don't know if any have been =
seen at=20
Byllesby yet this year).&nbsp; I later found the single&nbsp;Willet =
farther out=20
in the water behind a flock of Bonaparte's Gulls.&nbsp; Interestingly, =
one of=20
these Bonaparte's was very pinkish on the underparts.&nbsp; I don't know =
how=20
rare this coloration is in Bonaparte's, but I know many other gull =
species can=20
show it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On the way back I stopped by the 180th =
Street marsh=20
and was able to find the Long-tailed Duck in the second pond on the =
south side=20
of the road going east.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Good birding!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver County</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C42BB4.17B8C830--