[mou] 2 Eaglets

Farrel Graves bgraves@usfamily.net
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:13:28 -0500

Mary and I went to Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge today for the first
time. On the wildlife drive we 3 Sand Hill cranes, some Ring Neck ducks, 2
pairs of Trumpeter Swans. Of each pair one appeared on a nest and the other
swimming close by. They were on two different ponds.

The highlight was seeing the mom feeding her two new Eaglets. From the road
and 8x42 binoculars we thought we could see something moving in the nest. I
stopped and set up my Meade ETX 90 EC astronomy scope. We  were looking at
48X and decided to kick it up 78X. While I was focusing it in the mom landed
right in front of my eyes. She was feeding her young. Kicked it up to 96X
for a while. About 4 cars stopped and got to share in the site. I was
surprised how big and feathered they were already. They were really active
until they finished eating and then like me they just laid down. She stood
guard on the edge of the nest.

Our first visit there but certainly not our last!!