[mou] New Germany - good news

Chet Meyers chetmeyers@visi.com
Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:01:07 -0500

Today, Sunday Aug. 1 Miriam and I birded Crane Creek area in New Germany and
surroundings.  There is good shorebird habitat at the traditional locations
on Yale Ave. and on highway 30.  At the intersection of Yancy and 30 we
counted over 300 white pelicans on the water and another 60 in the air.
Young birds were evident. Shorebirds included many lesser yellowlegs,
pectoral and least sandpipers, and a few semi-palmated, and solitary
sandpipers.  No stilts and only one greater yellowlegs. The wetland a couple
of miles west of Yancy on highway 7 was good for shorebirds on the south
side of the road, but be VERY CAREFUL parking alongside this highway.  Water
conditions in this general area should hold up this fall if we get normal
rain.  Its great to see New Germany in good shape once again.
Chet Meyers, Hennepin County