[mou] shade-grown coffee

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:20:24 -0700

Most of you know of my interest in birds and bird conservation. Preservation
of Central American forests is important to conservation of many species of
birds that spend their breeding season here. Coffee, another of my special
interests and loves, can be grown in sun or shade. Shade-grown coffee
preserves the forest. Coffee also can be grown with or without chemicals.
And it can provide a decent income for the farmers who tend the crop. I want
to share with you a source of shade-grown, chemical-free coffee that returns
the full purchase price to the farmers who grow the coffee. Plus, you get
wonderful coffee for less than half of what you would pay in the store -- 17
ounces for five dollars (plus the cost of shipment; small). The brand is
Juan Ana, the sponsor of this project a mission run by the Archdiocese of
New Ulm, Minnesota. The coffee is grown in the mountains of Guatemala by
Mayan people, shipped by air to New Ulm, with orders filled there by a corps
of volunteers. Here is the web site. Give it a try. It is a good idea in so
many ways.

www.juananacoffee.com

Jim Williams