[mou] Fall Warbler Migration

Chet Meyers chetmeyers@visi.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:16:27 -0500

Finally, after last night's chilly but delightful cold front, the fall
warbler migration in the Twin Cities is moving. Birding just about every
other day since August 4th, I ran into my first warblers waves (or
'wavelets') today. Birding around Minneapolis lakes area we've seen eleven
different species already this fall: yellow (migrants from up north..not
local), Tennessee, Nashville, black & white, Amer. redstart, chestnut-sided,
mourning, Blackburnian, Wilson's, Canada, and northern waterthrush.
Get out and join the fun.  They really are not all that confusing.  A number
of birding friends reported bigger than normal numbers of blackpolls this
spring. Let's see what the fall brings. Those fall blackpolls and
bay-breasted (or as Pete Dunne calls them "baypolls") can be a little tough
to ID.
Chet Meyers, Hennepin County