[mou] Cool "Pale Male" tale

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:40:15 -0500

The excerpt below was just posted on "Tweeters", the Washington birding
list server.

I'm not sure how many of you watched "Pale Male" on PBS several months
back, but it's a documentary on a pale Red-tailed Hawk that took up
residency in NYC Central Park about a decade ago and has been nesting
there (now with I believe 4 different females over the years..sadly his
first mate of which the documentary was about...their first successful
nesting, died a year or two later) ever since.  I thought this occurence
regarding Pale Male was just too amazing to not pass it along to the
list, even though it isn't specifically about a bird in Minnesota.

"I am sitting in my office that looks out over Central
Park and Pale Male, the Central Park Red-tailed Hawk,
landed on my window sill for a visit. My computer is
located next to my window, which is open, so I
couldn't help it, I reeeeeached out slowly and touched
his tail! He turned around and bobbed his head at me a
couple times, then turned his back on me after
deciding I am too big to eat. Then suddenly, he was
gone."

How amazing to have a hawk land less than a foot or two away from
you...

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD (UDLP-GSD 'til Nov 1)
Fridley, MN (San Jose, CA 'til Nov 1)
(763) 572-5320
(408) 289-3840 ('til Nov 1)
chris.fagyal@udlp.com