[mou] Immature Northern Shrike in Itasca County.

Timothy Blackwood tblackwood1@yahoo.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:11:03 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

     At approximately 12:30pm this afternoon an immature Northern Shrike made its first appearance
in our back yard in rural Grand Rapids, MN.  Faint brownish barring on the chest indicated the
approximate age of the individual.  It stayed for a minute or two and then flew off.  It came back
at approximately 12:45pm and offered great views through binoculars.  During its second visit it
pounced on some small, unidentified mammal and carried it off.  I've been watching for a third
appearance, but no luck yet.

Tim Blackwood