[mou] Hummingbird gone?

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:03:48 -0600

After the extremely cold night, the hummingbird came this morning at 7:23
and fed often while I was watching until 9:25.  It's a cloudy day, but the
temperature rose into the 30s, and it's supposed to be rather mild for
several days.  I had some errands to run, and returned at 11, but I haven't
seen her at all since then, though I've been keeping close watch, as have
some birders who drove a long way to see her.  I'm disappointed they didn't
get to see her, but with luck, she can cover a long distance today.  Of
course, if she doesn't find any food, she may well turn around and come
back, so I'll keep the feeders out there and ready for her.  But unless she
shows up again, this will be the last hummingbird update.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

NOTE address change: bluejay@lauraerickson.com

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson