[mou] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Friday, December3, 2004

Chad Aakre chadaakre@hotmail.com
Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:17:05 -0600

Although Sue makes a good point about education being the key to these types
of things, I highly doubt that this Owl was shot by accident.  Out of the
many hunters out there, some are unethical.   Unethical hunters will shoot
anything that comes in their path.   These guys get bored and get trigger
happy.  I am sorry to say that I have a lot of evidence to support this.   I
met a guy this summer who does a lot of illegal trapping and hunting and he
said it happens all the time.  He would not give me his last name, so I
talked to him for a couple of hours to get a sense of how these people think
and how common it is.  Even if he was exaggerating, it was still mind
boggling how common and prevalent this is.   I also must confess that in my
youth I was a unethical hunter.   When I was 12 or 13 I remember killing
many animals for the "fun" of it.   Please understand that I am very
different now and have spent a lot of time trying to understand why it was
so "fun" at the time.   Its all about the power of it.  The power to take
life is intoxicating.   The other surprising thing is that I was raised as a
ethical hunter.   I took firearm safety and knew about wildlife.   Education
in general will not solve this problem.   We have to promote ethics that are
grounded in ecological concepts and ideas.   People in general need a
paradigm shift from being masters of the universe to part of it.   I
actually think this behavior gets to the heart of conservation and
environmentalism in general and it is evidence that we are not doing a good
enough job.   A hunter who respects his prey will be ethical in his dealing
with it.   He will only shoot if the shot is clean and the death is fast.
A humane death.   He would not even think about killing anything but his
prey because of the effects that death may have on the fabric of the system
of nature.

I could go on for days.   My point is that I believe this Owl was killed on
purpose by a unethical hunter just to shoot something and feel the "power"
of taking a life.

I would appreciate not getting a bunch of hate mail back about this.   I
have not hunted since my youth and am a staunch environmentalist and
activist.   I do more than my share to improve wildlife and habitat.  My
passion is education about ecology and how the world works.  I just can't
share Sue's optimism about her fellow humans on this planet.   We have a
long history of treating nature well when it suits us and is convenient and
doing whatever we please with it when it doesn't.   I believe that society
needs a huge paradigm shift in how it views nature.   Until that happens I
believe we are destined to a dismal future of extinction and ecological
collapse.

One last statement, most hunters are ethical and ecological.   Sportsman and
their groups do many great things for wildlife.   I appreciate the time and
effort they put in to habitat improvement, even if it is targeted at Game
species.

Thanks,

Chad Aakre