FW: [mou] FW: Diver feeding behavior - more feedback

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:19:21 -0600

[Mark Alt Comments] I have received emails asking for directions to pool
8. I believe pool 8 is the pool above the #8 lock and dam on the
Mississippi, below Wabasha.
There are no numbers anywhere labeling it, so can someone post a set of
good directions?  I find it by driving south on hwy 61 and turning off
when I see ducks. This methodology is better replaced with a set of good
directions.  Thanks in advance.

The F&W does aerial surveys Pools 4-13 weekly, weather
& budget permitting. Their count for Pool 8 reaches up
to 70,000-80,000, the largest number on any pool. Pool
9 at Lynxville, WI/Harper's Ferry, IA also has big
numbers. These counts are available from the F&W. Try
your area Upper Miss. R. Refuge office for how to
receive the counts on line. I don't think the aerial
counters can ID every Ruddy D. or Hooded M. let alone
pick out Greater from L. Scaup or a stray scoter. So
it is an estimation, not a census.

Fred Lesher, LaCrosse =20

=09
	=09