[mnbird] FW: [mou] FW: Diver feeding behavior - more feedback

John Schladweiler john.schladweiler@dnr.state.mn.us
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:14:52 -0600

Fred Lesher has just posted location and directions to Pool 8.  For
everyones benefit, the locations of the lock and dam numbers are as
listed below.  Unfortunately, these are not marked on the DeLorme maps.
The rough location is marked on the official MN State highway map.
Obviously, the pools are upstream of the lock and dams.

Lock & Dam #1 - At the Ford Plant in St. Paul
#2 - Just upstream of Hastings
#3 - Prairie Island at Red Wing
#4 - Alma Wisconsin (near Kellog MN)
#5 - Near John Latsch State Park in Winona Co.
#5A - Just upstream of Winona
#6 - Trempelaleau Wisc (Near O.L. Kipp State Park in Winona Co)
#7 - LaCrosse
#8 - Reno MN

John Schladweiler
New Ulm

>>> "Alt, Mark" <Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com> Tuesday, December 07, 2004 >>>
[Mark Alt Comments] I have received emails asking for directions to
pool
8. I believe pool 8 is the pool above the #8 lock and dam on the
Mississippi, below Wabasha.
There are no numbers anywhere labeling it, so can someone post a set
of
good directions?  I find it by driving south on hwy 61 and turning off
when I see ducks. This methodology is better replaced with a set of
good
directions.  Thanks in advance.

The F&W does aerial surveys Pools 4-13 weekly, weather
& budget permitting. Their count for Pool 8 reaches up
to 70,000-80,000, the largest number on any pool. Pool
9 at Lynxville, WI/Harper's Ferry, IA also has big
numbers. These counts are available from the F&W. Try
your area Upper Miss. R. Refuge office for how to
receive the counts on line. I don't think the aerial
counters can ID every Ruddy D. or Hooded M. let alone
pick out Greater from L. Scaup or a stray scoter. So
it is an estimation, not a census.

Fred Lesher, LaCrosse

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail