[mou] Minnesota birds, scientific articles

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:10:16 -0600

There is no single publication one can use to keep track of
ornithological research done in Minnesota. Papers stemming from such
work are published in myriad journals. Google now offers something of a
solution (for this and any other scientifically based search you might
want to make). Go to http://scholar.google.com/ and enter your search
words. My request for scientific papers containing the words
Minnesota+bird resulted in 7,100 listings. Not all of the work brought
to the screen is bird related. Some research is Bird related; there is
an impressive number of researchers named Bird doing work in Minnesota,
on hearts and dogs and other subjects.

This Google address is a new and most useful source for scientific
documents, however, and scrolling through the research done by
Minnesotans or involving Minnesota birds is both impressive and
entertaining.

Up front on the list I retrieved were several papers discussing
research done as the wind-generation towers were being planned and
erected in southwestern Minnesota. This is a particularly interesting
subject.

Jim Williams
Wayzata, Minnesota