[mou] Re: Birders and Empty Skies

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:22:54 -0600

Forest Strnad makes an excellent point.

Dennis Anderson wrote in Sunday's Trib (page C14) about the
disappointing 2004 duck hunting season: no ducks. He writes about
continuously shrinking duck habitat and lack of effort by the state
DNR, the governer, the legislature, and federal agencies to reverse
this trend. Anderson suggests that hunters pick a date and gather in
public protest.

It occurred to me, too, as it did to Forest, that birders, their clubs,
and the MOU, the latter with its stated interest in bird conservation,
could join the hunters in this effort. There are those in the birding
community who might think it inappropriate to join hunters in complaint
that there are not enough game birds to shoot. That position is
shortsighted. Habitat for ducks -- what Anderson describes as wetlands
and their associated uplands -- also is habitat for myriad non-game
bird species.

Anderson writes: "Last week, in an e-mail message to Minnesota
waterfowl activist Lance Ness, DNR wetland wildlife habitat program
leader Ray Norrgard said: 'Moderate success [in restoring Mallard
numbers] will require an additional 1.5 million acres of prairie
wetlands and at least that much grassland in long-term protection. At
our current rate of wetland restoration, that will take about 150
years, assuming we stem the loss of existing wetlands. The long and the
short of it is that we are in trouble and have been for a long time.'"

Think of adding 3 million acres of habitat to serve wetland and
grassland non-game bird species. More Mallards would be great. More
Sedge Wrens and nesting blackbirds, more Bobolinks and grassland
sparrows, that would be great, too. But, 150 years from now? Assuming
we can stop the current rate of loss?

Hunters, through the taxes they pay on arms and ammunition, through
purchase of duck stamps, through purchase of licenses, through their
clubs and various organizations (Ducks Unlimited, to name one) have
made very significant contributions to non-game bird conservation. If
only we birders could point to such a history of direct financial
support for habitat acquisition and preservation of non-game birds.

Duck hunters are not the only hunters who contribute. Similar
contributions are made by  pheasant, grouse, and turkey hunters and the
organizations that unite them. The state all-bird conservation
initiative, now called Bird Conservation Minnesota, had among its
earliest supporters all of the major bird-hunting organizations. The
hunters did not suggest that an effort that steps beyond game birds to
encompass all bird species was for any reason outside of their concern
for habitat and conservation. Birders should share that enlightened
view.

Birders buy no license or activity stamp, as do hunters. When we buy
birding equipment, we pay no tax dedicated to preservation of our
activity, as do hunters. We get a free ride. Yes, some of us do buy
duck stamps and licenses, either because we too hunt or to show support
and make a contribution. Some of us write checks to National Audubon,
The Nature Conservancy, or other environmental organizations. I have
had someone tell me that his purchase of a state park sticker
constitutes support for bird conservation. All of those things can be
counted as contributions. But I think very few of us make the
contributions or do the hard, local work done by hunters in Minnesota
and elsewhere.

And if it has come to the point where hunters must take to the street
in protest to force conservation action, then birders should join them.
We have as much to lose and as much to gain, and we are way behind on
our effort to see that natural-habitat conservation is a priority item
in this state.

Anderson suggested in his column today that a protest plan be made and
a date be set. I'll be watching his columns in the Strib to see if that
happens. If hunters show up to demonstrate to the state legislature and
the DNR that action is needed, I plan to be there. Perhaps Forest will
join me. How about you?

Jim Williams
Wayzata