[mou] Owls and other northern birds (late)

Erika Sitz esitz@goldengate.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:23:37 -0600

I'm posting this report, though tardy, because I remember reading that
someone is logging northern owl reports.  I didn't save that post and I
don't remember if there was a special place to send them, so putting it
here.  I apologize for the tardy post, wrote it but forgot to send it when I
got distracted by a car quitting on us, and shopping for a new one.

These were birds seen on Dec 3 or 4.
All the owls were seen between 2:15pm and 4:50pm.

Northern Hawk Owl:
12/3, CR52, 0.2 mi E of Cotton
12/3, S edge of Melrude, ~40 yds down RR tracks, on wire on right
12/3, Stone Lake Rd, 1.0 mi E of CR7
12/3, CR7, 1.4 mi AND 3.3 mi S of Stone Lake Rd
12/4, McDavitt Rd, 2.8 mi S of Zim Rd
12/4, McDavitt Rd, 0.3 mi N of Sax Rd
12/4, Sax Rd, 0.3 mi E of McDavitt, flew out and hovered twice
12/4, CR7, 6.0 mi AND 7.3 mi S of Sax Rd

Great Gray Owl:
12/3, CR52, 0.7 mi E of Cotton
12/3, CR59/Melrude Rd, 0.1 mi N of CR52
12/3, CR59, 0.3 mi N of CR52, by private road, "No Hunting" sign, :)
12/3, CR59, 2.9 mi N of CR52, end of driveway, #1315
12/3, in Melrude, CR59 at Cemetery Rd
12/3, CR59, 1.0 mi past Young Lake Rd (or 0.5 mi before US53)
12/4, McDavitt Rd, 3.0 mi S of Zim Rd, 100yd back, salmon-pink sky!

Black-billed Magpies and a Rough-legged Hawk on Kelsey-Whiteface Rd
Rough-legged Hawk, dark phase, at the end of the Blue Spruce Rd
Pine Grosbeaks, Pine St (Blue Spruce loop) and Hwy 1 at Stony River FR
Northern Shrike along Lake County 2 by the Langley River
Gray Jays on Owl Ave about 3 mi S of Arkola
Bald Eagles, several flocks of Common Redpolls, and many Common Ravens