[mou] Red Wing to LaCrosse

Kelly Larson larson@redwing.net
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:07:17 -0600

On my way back from a family visit to LaCrosse today I counted Eagles
along the river. The ice has taken hold of the shore line. Only a few
eagles were seen south of Wabasha. At the first pull-off north of Reads
Landing, 15 Bald Eagles, most sitting on the ice or actively hunting. A
large raft of C. Mergansers made a nice backdrop for them. At the second
pull-off north of Reads Landing, 23 on ice, in trees, and actively
hunting. Another 32 high above kettling south. Again a huge, huge, raft
of C. Mergansers out in mid channel. I made several other stops,
including Lake City, Frontenac and Red Wing's Colville Park (none
there). I counted a total 92 Bald Eagles between Reads Landing and
Frontenac.

Also,
1 Belted Kingfisher, cty 2 at Wells Creek bridge (Villa Maria) in
Frontenac, Goodhue County.

At my feeders in Red Wing
A new high count of 5 Tufted Titmice. The pair that first appeared in
Oct. 2003 stuck around all summer and raised a family.
I have enjoyed a flock of 2 dozen Pine Sisken for 4 weeks. They have
driven off most of the Goldfinch with their aggressive table manners.
I'm feeding a custom blend of chip sunflower, nyjer and hemp!
After 10 months of trying to appease the woodpecker gods the local pair
of Pileated are now daily visitors to my large suet feeder and a mammoth
pole mounted peanut cage.
Red-breasted Nuthatches move in and out to fast to count.
Still waiting for Redpolls...

Moving to Bemidji on New Years Eve!
--
Kelly Larson