[mou] Sax-Zim suggestion

Earl Orf earlorf@uslink.net
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:27:16 -0600

Sounds like a great idea to me, Laura.  I have enjoyed birding that area
many times and would be happy to contribute to a fund like that.

Earl Orf

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu] On =
Behalf
Of Laura Erickson
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:41 PM
To: mou-net@cbs.umn.edu; mnbird@lists.mnbird.net; Pam Perry
Subject: [mou] Sax-Zim suggestion

When I bird in Sax-Zim, I follow pretty much the same route every time, =
and=20
don't really know where many of the houses with feeders are.  But I do =
peek=20
in on four feeders when I'm birding there.  Maybe those of us who bird=20
there should compile a list of the houses with feeders, and start a fund =
to=20
give all the people with feeders a big bag of seed and a nice bird book =
as=20
a thank-you for "using" their property for our own enjoyment, and a =
letter=20
asking if in the future they'd mind people birding there.  I think we =
could=20
possibly develop some sort of magnet people could put on their =
mailboxes,=20
with binoculars for those who don't mind birders looking in, and =
binoculars=20
with a red circle/slash for those who DO mind.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach?  Any other suggestions?

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of=20
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains =
of=20
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson