[mou] ABA Birding article

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:31:02 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C3EC2F.5ACE3F70

Today I received my latest issue of the ABA's Birding.  I looked inside =
and saw that a article was written by Julie Muehlberg from Minnesota =
whom I never met and another article written by Burton S. Guttman who =
grew up in Minnesota and birded in Minnesota.

I read the article written by Julie Muehlberg called " Saving the St. =
Louis River Estuary" An ABA-sponsored Habit Restoration Project.  After =
reading it I saw some things in the article of some interest.

The Yellow-throated Vireo is not a common migrant in the St. Louis River =
estuary. The article mentioned it was. Having lived and birded all my =
life in Duluth. I know for a fact the Yellow-throated Vireo is a bird =
that is casually found in the Spring and Fall season. When some one =
spots and reports this vireo its hotline material.

Whimbrels is not a shorebird one would expect to find in the St. Louis =
River estuary either in the Spring or Fall season. The Whimbrel is a =
good find but a not a rare find in the spring season. I bird a lot in =
the spring either at Interstate Island or Park Point and you don't go =
out and expect to find Whimbrels everyday like Spotted Sandpipers. =
Whimbrels are sporadic and you never know when you'll see one.=20

Also shorebirds as a whole are very hard to find in the Duluth area. =
40th Ave West use to be a great spot but the landscape has changed and =
now 40th Ave West is over grown with tansy, grasses and bushes. There is =
some water on the west side but its a more of a deep pool with little =
mud flats and the dike doesn't hold large concentration of shorebirds. =
The Morgan Park area is only good when the water in the river is low. =
Park Point is good in the Fall season for Sanderlings and a smattering =
of other species. Park Point is ok in the spring at Herding Island sand =
bars or the edges of Interstate Island but generally the St. Louis River =
doesn't hold a lot of shorebirds. Its pretty tough just go on the St. =
Louis Birdathon and you'll see for yourself.

In the same article I read this interesting paragraph about Piping =
Plovers "Modifications made in the vegetation at Wisconsin Point have =
already improved habitat for Piping Plovers". Lynelle Hanson said. " Its =
our hope that the young Piping Plovers WE"VE SEEN will seek out new =
territory here for nesting in the coming years."

WOW! Ok does young birds they seen mean young immature birds in Fall =
migration or does that mean (which I think it does) young birds as in =
birds hatch at WI Pt. I haven't heard of Piping Plovers nesting anywhere =
near Duluth or Superior, WI since the early 80's when they nested in =
Port Terminal. That is good news. =20

When I think of the Piping Plovers and what was mentioned about them in =
this article at Wi Pt. I have to wonder if Kirtland Warblers are nesting =
in NW Wisconsin? HMMMM I would probably say they do nest and the people =
on the scene are keeping mighty tight lips about locations. I know last =
summer while checking web sites and listserves that a Kirtland's Warbler =
was seen in the Houghton Hancock area last summer in a jack pine stand. =
Makes ya wonder with all the jack pine stands in NW WI there is probably =
a nesting pair or two in some secret unknown jack pine stand.

Other than that it was nice article to read.

This latest ABA Birding issue is loaded with articles talking about =
LISTING. Yes Listing the thing that keeps listserves hopping! There are =
some good articles in it that answers everyone opinions about keeping =
lists or pursuing birds for listing.=20

Mike H.
------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C3EC2F.5ACE3F70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today I received my latest issue of the =
ABA's=20
Birding.&nbsp; I looked inside and saw that a article was written by =
Julie=20
Muehlberg from Minnesota whom I never met and another article written by =
Burton=20
S. Guttman who grew up in Minnesota and birded in =
Minnesota.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I read&nbsp;the article written by =
Julie=20
Muehlberg&nbsp;called "&nbsp;Saving the St. Louis River Estuary"=20
An&nbsp;ABA-sponsored Habit Restoration Project.&nbsp;&nbsp;After =
reading it I=20
saw some things in the article of some interest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Yellow-throated Vireo is not a =
common migrant=20
in the St. Louis&nbsp;River estuary. The article mentioned it was. =
Having lived=20
and birded all my life in Duluth. I know for a fact the Yellow-throated =
Vireo is=20
a&nbsp;bird that is casually found in the Spring and Fall =
season.&nbsp;When some=20
one spots and reports this vireo its hotline material.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Whimbrels is not a shorebird one would =
expect to=20
find in the St. Louis River&nbsp;estuary either in the Spring or Fall =
season.=20
The Whimbrel is a good find but a not a rare find in the spring =
season.&nbsp;I=20
bird a lot in the spring either at Interstate Island or Park Point =
and&nbsp;you=20
don't go out and expect to find Whimbrels everyday like Spotted =
Sandpipers.=20
Whimbrels are sporadic and you never know when you'll see one. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also shorebirds as a whole are very =
hard to find in=20
the Duluth area. 40th Ave West use to be a great spot but the landscape =
has=20
changed and now 40th&nbsp;Ave West is over grown with&nbsp;tansy, =
grasses and=20
bushes. There is some&nbsp;water on the west side but its a&nbsp;more of =
a deep=20
pool with little mud&nbsp;flats and the dike doesn't hold large =
concentration of=20
shorebirds. The Morgan Park area is only good when the water in the =
river is=20
low. Park Point is good in the&nbsp;Fall season for Sanderlings and=20
a&nbsp;smattering of other species.&nbsp;Park Point is ok in the spring =
at=20
Herding Island sand bars or the edges of Interstate Island but generally =
the St.=20
Louis River doesn't hold a lot of shorebirds. Its pretty tough just go =
on the=20
St. Louis Birdathon and you'll see for yourself.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In the same article I read this =
interesting=20
paragraph about Piping Plovers "Modifications made in the vegetation at=20
Wisconsin Point have already improved habitat for Piping Plovers". =
Lynelle=20
Hanson said. " Its our hope that the young Piping Plovers WE"VE SEEN =
will seek=20
out new territory here for nesting in the coming years."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>WOW! Ok does young birds they seen mean =
young=20
immature birds in Fall migration or does that mean (which I think it =
does) young=20
birds as in birds hatch at WI Pt. I haven't heard of Piping Plovers =
nesting=20
anywhere near Duluth or Superior, WI since the early 80's when they =
nested in=20
Port Terminal. That is good news.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I think of the Piping Plovers and =
what was=20
mentioned about them in this article at Wi Pt. I have to wonder if =
Kirtland=20
Warblers are nesting in NW Wisconsin? HMMMM I would probably say they do =
nest=20
and the people on the scene are keeping mighty tight lips about =
locations. I=20
know last summer while checking web sites and listserves that a =
Kirtland's=20
Warbler was seen in the Houghton Hancock area last summer in a jack pine =
stand.=20
Makes ya wonder with all the jack pine stands in NW WI&nbsp;there is =
probably a=20
nesting pair or two in some secret unknown jack pine stand.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Other than that it was nice article to=20
read.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This latest ABA Birding issue is loaded =
with=20
articles talking about LISTING.&nbsp;Yes Listing the thing that keeps =
listserves=20
hopping! There are some good articles in it that answers everyone =
opinions about=20
keeping lists or pursuing birds for listing. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike =
H.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0040_01C3EC2F.5ACE3F70--