[mou] Birds in unusual places

Mike Nelson tuneful4@usfamily.net
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:12:54 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C3EF2F.F4871260

In October '01 we were in St. Louis checking out St. Louis University =
with our son. It's a very interesting campus with lifelike bronze =
sculptures everywhere. As our parent group approached the library we =
walked along a nicely tended courtyard with hedges and shrubbery. As I =
eyed the scuplture of a young boy pushing along his bicycle with an =
extended arm and finger in the air, a Townsend's Solitaire emerged from =
cover and landed on the finger; it was almost close enough to grab. The =
guide was going on about things so I was working hard to suppress =
myself. I thought I had heard this guy singing in the trees earlier and =
now it was confirmed.

After we returned home I reported the sighting to the St. Louis Audubon =
Society figuring it was routine. I got a very appreciative reply asking =
if I was totally sure because it would be an early winter record by at =
least a month. I knew I had him because I'd seen the one at Acacia =
Cemetery in February '01. The Acacia bird had not been shy at all =
either.

Which brings me to Pilot Knob birds. The day I saw the Solitaire several =
others were there; one had a monster setup and snapped the guy from just =
a few feet. THe one name I got was Mitch Paul who let me use his better =
binos. Don't remember if it was his camera as well. But someone on that =
Sunday afternoon got a spectacular shot of a Solitaire, and perhaps I've =
jogged someone's memory.

Hope to have been of help
Mike Nelson
Cottage Grove, Wash. Co.
tuneful4@usfamily.net

ps perhaps not unusual but male House Finches have discovered the =
awesome amplification afforded by singing under the column tops at the =
front of Northrop Auditorium, UMN. It carries the entire length of the =
mall...!

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C3EF2F.F4871260

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In October '01 we were in St. Louis =
checking out=20
St. Louis University with our son. It's a very interesting campus with =
lifelike=20
bronze sculptures everywhere. As our parent group approached the library =
we=20
walked along a nicely tended courtyard with hedges and shrubbery. As I =
eyed the=20
scuplture of a young boy pushing along his bicycle with an extended arm =
and=20
finger in the air, a Townsend's Solitaire emerged from cover and landed =
on the=20
finger; it was almost close enough to grab. The guide was going on about =
things=20
so I was working hard to suppress myself. I thought I had heard this guy =
singing=20
in the trees earlier and now it was confirmed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After we returned home I reported the =
sighting to=20
the St. Louis Audubon Society figuring it was routine. I got a very =
appreciative=20
reply asking if I was totally sure because it would be an early winter =
record by=20
at least a month. I knew I had him because I'd seen the one at Acacia =
Cemetery=20
in February '01. The Acacia bird had not been shy at all =
either.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Which brings me to Pilot Knob birds. =
The day I saw=20
the Solitaire several others were there; one had a monster setup and =
snapped the=20
guy from just a few feet. THe one name I got was Mitch Paul who let me =
use his=20
better binos. Don't remember if it was his camera as well. But someone =
on that=20
Sunday afternoon got a spectacular shot of a Solitaire, and perhaps I've =
jogged=20
someone's memory.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hope to have been of help</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Nelson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cottage Grove, Wash. Co.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:tuneful4@usfamily.net">tuneful4@usfamily.net</A></FONT></D=

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ps perhaps not unusual but male House =
Finches have=20
discovered the awesome amplification afforded by singing under the =
column tops=20
at the front of Northrop Auditorium, UMN. It carries the entire length =
of the=20
mall...!</FONT></DIV>

</center></p>

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C3EF2F.F4871260--