[mou] redpolls in Highland Park

Mark Davis davis@Macalester.edu
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:43:44 -0600

I just to wanted to report that a flock of about 15-18 common redpolls
have been hanging around the Macalester campus for the past 2 days (Feb
9-10).  They have been feeding on the catkins of the birch tree on the
south side of Grand Avenue between Snelling Ave. and Macalester street,
between the sidewalk and the campus chapel (the large glass building).
The birch tree is adjacent to a group of spruces.  The birds have been
clearly visible from the sidewalk.  The flock was there late Monday
afternoon and early Tuesday morning.  The flock was first spotted by Ben
Freeman, one of my students.  I didn't know if redpolls were being
commonly seen this winter around the Twin Cities, so I thought I would
pass this sighting on just in case.--Mark Davis

--
Mark A. Davis Ph.D.                 651-696-6102
Department of Biology               fax: 651-696-6443