[mou] MOU Winter Trip Summary

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:51:53 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3F405.8ABDBC50

When I put together the 2004 MOU field trip schedule, I had no idea that =
the winter field trip would fill up to 45 birders in one month and a =
waiting list around 20-25 birders! I had birders from Hawaii, =
California, New Mexico and Kentucky that wanted to attend the MOU Winter =
Field Trip!  I laughed and made comments to my wife, Monica that I have =
as many people on the roster and the waiting list equal to a birding =
festival!!

When I emailed the 45 birders telling them about the lodging places in =
Duluth, what to wear, what to bring and what to expect to see and not to =
see I looked at the calendar and GULPED FEBRUARY 14th!  Monica is going =
to kill me! I made a bird trip on Valentine's Day! How am I going to =
explain this to her as she looks forward to a romantic dinner and movie =
and etc.. Well it all worked out!=20

I reserved a banquet room at the Duluth Athletic Club & Bar and =
organized a dinner menue with the banquet manager, Phil.  Well I was =
rushing things and I just said "hmmm sounds good Phil, lets do it" =
Everyone loved the dinner and the banquet room. The menu was chicken =
breast cooked in a white mushroom sauce, rice pilaf, baby mashed red =
potatoes, bread and Caesar salad. Well if you looked at the menu and if =
you were on the Aitkin's Diet you would be stuck with the salad. Starch =
Starch and more starch! Next year I'll be a little more careful around =
Phil and make sure the menu is a little more mixed.

Well enough of the pre MOU Trip chit chat stuff. The 2004 MOU winter =
trip was a roller coaster of emotions for all of us leaders and birders. =
 Saturday was windy and icy cold. We met at 7:00am at the 40th Ave West =
Perkins and I already thru email had all the car pooling done, radios =
all figured, and the birders broken into two teams. Team A was led by me =
and Team B was led by Kim Risen and John Hockema.  We both took two =
different approaches to Sax Zim to loo for Great Grey Owls. We missed on =
GGO's, we than leap frog over each other and tried for Sharp-tail Grouse =
and we miss on them! UGH! We than took turns looking for Boreal =
Chickadees and Black-backed Woodpeckers and we miss on them. We soon =
left Sax Zim and headed for lunch in Duluth. If birding is like golf we =
tripled bogey for the day and like John Daly I was ready to toss my =
binoculars in the woods and yell "I Quit"!

In Sax Zim we had to settle for Pine Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeaks, =
Common Redpolls, Northern Shrike and Snow Buntings.

After Lunch we headed down to the Duluth/Superior harbors and look for =
the Gyr and of course we missed again! So we decided to go to Two =
Harbors and things got back on track in relocating the Long-tail Ducks =
in Agate Bay and from there we decided to head back to the hotels and =
get ready to for dinner. As we were heading just about to leave Two =
Harbors, Chris Benson and his Zumbro Valley Group cell phones me and =
tells me about a Great Gray Owl on the 61 express way between the =
Homestead Rd and the Berguist Rd. So we raced down there and than Chris =
calls again " Aww Mike the GGO flew into the woods" my heart fell but we =
kept racing down the 61 and we see Chris's truck up ahead with the =
flashers on and there on the right was the Great Gray Owl! The bird was =
near our van and there is FIVE cars behind me and only our car can see =
the GGO and as if the GGO knew about my golf score I was tallying for =
the day with birding, the owl lifted off his perch and glided very =
slowly past my passenger window down the ditch, the owl kept flying past =
each car window high very slowly past every car behind and landed on a =
perch so the last car was able to study and watch the owl. I got out and =
everyone was smiling and in aww as they got to see a Great Gray Owl fly =
ever so slowly past thier vehicle!!

Well on Saturday we gave everyone a option to do two things. One they =
could go with me and John to Lake Co (Chris Hockema and Dedrick Benz =
found Spruce Grouse and Red Crossbills up there Sat. am) , Two Harbors =
and end it in Duluth or go with Kim Risen to Sax Zim earlier and end it =
in Aitkin Co.  The group were all organized and off we went. Could we =
put away yesterday blues and really put on a show for these birders? YOU =
BET WE DID!!

Team Sax Zim/Aitkin Co found the following birds on their trip on Sunday =
2/15
Great Gray Owl on Hwy 7 4 miles south of the Stone Lake Rd. They saw it =
twice!!
Sharp-tail Grouse DANCING on thier lek on Co. Rd 29
Black-billed Magpie
Black-backed Woodpecker (male) on Co. Rd. 213. About 150 yards into the =
bog coming from the south.
Boreal Chickadees in several places
White-wing Crossbills
Bohemian Waxwings in Palisade.

Team Lake Co found the following birds on thier trip on Sunday 2/15
Spruce Grouse (3 males 1 female) 1 mile north of the Sand River
Red Crossbills on Highway 1 at mile marker 300
Boreal Chickadees Spruce  Rd/snowmobile trail=20
Northern Goshawk  fly over on Lake Co. Rd. 2
Merlin  fly over on 3rd Ave and 4th street in Two Harbors
Black-backed Woodpecker  intersection of Lake Co. Rd 2 and Hwy 1
11 Long-tail Ducks in Agate Bay and off the lighthouse on Lake Superior.
Gyrfalcon at Peavy Elevator, Wi
Snowy Owl in Superior, Wi

We ended in a BANG! I felt great for all of the birders and felt great =
for my co-leaders Kim Risen and John Hockema.  I would like to thank =
John and Kim for all there hard work and having the patients and love =
for showing lifers and birds to 45 birders. Thank you and thanks for all =
those attended and giving us a great time as well!

We ran into other birders and here are some reports I got from them.

Chris Hockema and Dedrick Benz found on 2/14 in Lake Co. 12 spruce =
Grouse 2.1 miles north of the Sand River and one grouse on Hwy 1 at mile =
post 305. They also found Red Crossbills at the intersection of Lake Co. =
Rd. 2 and Hwy 1. They also found a Hoary Redpoll at a feeder in Two =
Harbors 10th and 8 th street and Boreal Chickadees at the Spruce Rd and =
Endless Waters Way.

Some birders from England saw Sharp-tail Grouse at the Lek on Co. Rd 29 =
in Sax Zim 2/14 and Great Gray Owl on the Stone Lake Rd. .6 tenths of =
mile off Hwy 7 in Sax Zim. We had a report of a Great Gray Owl along Co. =
Rd 52/Arkola Rd and this second report sounds like it was east of Hwy 7. =
I have no other details on this report.

Highlights:

Feeding Grey Jays on the Spruce Rd and yes we have pics of MOU members =
with Grey Jays on thier hands.
Watching everyone dance and and do the twist in the middle of the Lake =
Co. Rd. 2 after seeing Spruce Grouse in -24 degree temps!
Watching Forest Strnad give his bird student, John Hockema a huge hug =
after seeing his Gyrfalcon!
Having my wife, Monica actually attending a birding function (dinner =
event) and mingle on her own chatting with them! Wow is there hope! lol
Slamming cars on a blind turn watching Red Crossbills and hoping no one =
gets run over!
All the radios WORKED!! Everyone was organized and ready to go every =
morning!
Signing up 5 new members to the MOU!
Birders making making perfect U-EES on dirt roads and no one ran into =
the ditch!

We saw 41 species for the 2 days and I took lots of pics and so did some =
others and we going to put them on the MOU web site soon. We have =
outstanding pics of Spruce Grouse, Grey Jays and people. Even a odd pic =
of John trying to kiss my cheek! NOOOOooooo!

Thanks everyone and the next MOU Trip will be announced soon or check =
the MOU web site and read about the trips planned for 2004.

Mike Hendrickson
MOU Field Trip Guy
Duluth, Mn

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3F405.8ABDBC50

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I put together the 2004 MOU field =
trip=20
schedule, I had no idea that the winter field trip would fill up to 45 =
birders=20
in one month and a waiting list around 20-25 birders! I had birders from =
Hawaii,=20
California, New Mexico and Kentucky that wanted to attend the MOU Winter =
Field=20
Trip!&nbsp; I laughed and made comments to my wife, Monica that I have =
as many=20
people on the roster and the waiting list equal to a birding=20
festival!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When I emailed the 45 birders telling =
them about=20
the lodging places in Duluth, what to wear, what to bring and what to =
expect to=20
see and not to see I looked at the calendar and GULPED FEBRUARY =
14th!&nbsp;=20
Monica is going to kill me! I made a bird trip on Valentine's Day! How =
am I=20
going to explain this to her as she looks forward to a romantic dinner =
and movie=20
and etc.. Well it all worked out! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I reserved a banquet room at the Duluth =
Athletic=20
Club &amp; Bar and organized a dinner menue with the banquet manager,=20
Phil.&nbsp; Well I was rushing things and I just said "hmmm sounds good =
Phil,=20
lets do it" Everyone loved the dinner and the banquet room. The menu was =
chicken=20
breast cooked in a white mushroom sauce, rice pilaf, baby mashed red =
potatoes,=20
bread and Caesar salad. Well if you looked at the menu and if you were =
on the=20
Aitkin's Diet you would be stuck with the salad. Starch Starch and more =
starch!=20
Next year I'll be a little more careful around Phil and make sure the =
menu is a=20
little more mixed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well enough of the pre MOU Trip chit =
chat stuff.=20
The 2004 MOU winter trip was a roller coaster of emotions for all of us =
leaders=20
and birders.&nbsp; Saturday was windy and icy cold. We met at 7:00am at =
the 40th=20
Ave West Perkins and I already thru email had all the car pooling done, =
radios=20
all figured, and the birders broken into two teams. Team A was led by me =
and=20
Team B was led by Kim Risen and John Hockema.&nbsp; We both took two =
different=20
approaches to Sax Zim to loo for Great Grey Owls. We missed on GGO's, we =
than=20
leap frog over each other and tried for Sharp-tail Grouse and we miss on =
them!=20
UGH! We than took turns looking for Boreal Chickadees and=20
Black-backed&nbsp;Woodpeckers and we miss on them. We soon left Sax Zim =
and=20
headed for lunch in Duluth. If birding is like golf we tripled bogey for =
the day=20
and like John Daly I was ready to toss my binoculars in the woods and =
yell "I=20
Quit"!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In Sax Zim we had to settle for Pine =
Grosbeaks,=20
Evening Grosbeaks, Common Redpolls, Northern Shrike and Snow=20
Buntings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After Lunch we headed down to the =
Duluth/Superior=20
harbors and look for the Gyr and of course we missed again! So we =
decided to go=20
to Two Harbors and things got back on track in relocating the Long-tail =
Ducks in=20
Agate Bay and from there we decided to head back to the hotels and get =
ready to=20
for dinner. As we were heading just about to leave Two Harbors, Chris =
Benson and=20
his Zumbro Valley Group cell phones me and tells me about a Great Gray =
Owl on=20
the 61 express way between the Homestead Rd and the Berguist Rd. So we =
raced=20
down there and than Chris calls again " Aww Mike the GGO flew into the =
woods" my=20
heart fell but we kept racing down the 61 and we see Chris's truck up =
ahead with=20
the flashers on and there on the right was the Great Gray Owl! The bird =
was near=20
our van and there is FIVE cars behind me and only our car can see the =
GGO and as=20
if the GGO knew about my golf score I was tallying for the day with =
birding, the=20
owl lifted off his perch and glided very slowly past my passenger window =
down=20
the ditch, the owl kept flying past each car window high very slowly =
past every=20
car behind and landed on a perch so the last car was able to study and =
watch the=20
owl. I got out and everyone was smiling and in aww as they got to see a =
Great=20
Gray Owl fly ever so slowly past thier vehicle!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well on Saturday we gave everyone a =
option to do=20
two things. One they could go with me and John to Lake Co (Chris Hockema =
and=20
Dedrick Benz found Spruce Grouse and Red Crossbills up there Sat. am) , =
Two=20
Harbors and end it in Duluth or go with Kim Risen to Sax Zim earlier and =
end it=20
in Aitkin Co.&nbsp; The group were all organized and off we went. Could =
we put=20
away yesterday blues and really put on a show for these birders? YOU BET =
WE=20
DID!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Team Sax Zim/Aitkin Co found the =
following birds on=20
their trip on Sunday 2/15</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Great Gray Owl on Hwy 7 4 miles south =
of the Stone=20
Lake Rd. They saw it twice!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sharp-tail Grouse DANCING on thier lek =
on Co. Rd=20
29</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Black-billed Magpie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Black-backed Woodpecker (male) on Co. =
Rd. 213.=20
About 150 yards into the bog coming from the south.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Boreal Chickadees in several =
places</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>White-wing Crossbills</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bohemian Waxwings in =
Palisade.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Team Lake Co found the following birds =
on thier=20
trip on Sunday 2/15</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Spruce Grouse (3 males 1 female) 1 mile =
north of=20
the Sand River</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Red Crossbills on Highway 1 at mile =
marker=20
300</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Boreal Chickadees Spruce&nbsp; =
Rd/snowmobile trail=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Northern Goshawk&nbsp; fly over on Lake =
Co. Rd.=20
2</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Merlin&nbsp; fly over on 3rd Ave and =
4th street in=20
Two Harbors</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Black-backed Woodpecker&nbsp; =
intersection of Lake=20
Co. Rd 2 and Hwy 1</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>11 Long-tail Ducks in Agate Bay and off =
the=20
lighthouse&nbsp;on Lake Superior.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gyrfalcon at Peavy Elevator, =
Wi</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Snowy Owl in Superior, Wi</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We ended in a BANG! I felt great for =
all of the=20
birders and felt great for my co-leaders Kim Risen and John =
Hockema.&nbsp; I=20
would like to thank John and Kim for all there hard work and having the =
patients=20
and love for showing lifers and birds to 45 birders. Thank you and =
thanks for=20
all those attended and giving us a great time as well!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We ran into other birders and here are =
some reports=20
I got from them.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chris Hockema and Dedrick Benz found on =
2/14 in=20
Lake Co. 12 spruce Grouse 2.1 miles north of the Sand River and one =
grouse on=20
Hwy 1 at mile post 305. They also found Red Crossbills at the =
intersection of=20
Lake Co. Rd. 2 and Hwy 1. They also found a Hoary Redpoll at a feeder in =
Two=20
Harbors 10th and 8 th street and Boreal Chickadees at the Spruce Rd and =
Endless=20
Waters Way.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Some birders from England saw =
Sharp-tail Grouse at=20
the Lek&nbsp;on Co. Rd 29 in Sax Zim&nbsp;2/14 and Great Gray Owl on the =

Stone&nbsp;Lake Rd. .6 tenths of mile off Hwy 7 in Sax Zim. We had a =
report of a=20
Great Gray Owl along Co. Rd 52/Arkola Rd and this second report sounds =
like it=20
was east of Hwy 7. I have no other details on this report.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Highlights:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Feeding Grey Jays on the Spruce Rd and =
yes we have=20
pics of MOU members with Grey Jays on thier hands.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Watching everyone dance and and do the =
twist in the=20
middle of the Lake Co. Rd. 2 after seeing Spruce Grouse in -24 degree=20
temps!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Watching Forest Strnad give his bird =
student, John=20
Hockema a huge hug after seeing his Gyrfalcon!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Having my wife, Monica actually =
attending a birding=20
function (dinner event)&nbsp;and mingle on her own chatting with them! =
Wow is=20
there hope! lol</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Slamming cars on a blind turn watching =
Red=20
Crossbills and hoping no one gets run over!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>All the radios WORKED!! Everyone was =
organized and=20
ready to go every morning!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Signing up 5 new members to the =
MOU!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Birders making making perfect U-EES on =
dirt roads=20
and no one ran into the ditch!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We saw 41 species for the 2 days and I =
took lots of=20
pics and so did some others and we going to put them on the MOU web site =
soon.=20
We have outstanding pics of Spruce Grouse, Grey Jays and people. Even a =
odd pic=20
of John trying to kiss my cheek! NOOOOooooo!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks everyone and the next MOU Trip =
will be=20
announced soon or check the MOU web site and read about the trips =
planned for=20
2004.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>MOU Field Trip Guy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Duluth, Mn</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3F405.8ABDBC50--