[mou] Birding in Minnesota

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:11:54 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C3F6D9.2EBC14C0

The reason I responded to Jim Williams thoughts on how birding is quite =
simple is because Jim's thoughts were so negative on MOURC. I want to =
make people on this listserve that are enjoying this thread or watching =
this thread to understand that birding in Minnesota is NOT complex as =
some may want it to be and things going on with MOURC really shouldn't =
effect the way you should enjoy this hobby.

The people who sit on MOURC except one or two people consider birding as =
a hobby rather than a job. They are volunteering to do what is best for =
Minnesota birding. If you don't like how they are doing things than =
offer solutions rather than point the finger. What are your ideas to fix =
the problem? Laura offered an idea and some others have done so too. I =
would like to hear solutions rather than commentary. I personally feel =
everything is ok. MOURC is doing a good job, MOURC is not some "good ol =
boys" committee. If you want to express your opinion than attend one of =
there meetings! Didn't I already said this before?

My comments on the King Rail, since its being used in arguments lately.  =
It has been since 1992 since a King Rail was seen in Minnesota. Ok are =
neighboring states have nesting King Rails,  so are we to just speculate =
that King Rails do nest in Minnesota? Is that science?=20

Also again if King Rails do nest in Minnesota where are the records or =
the sightings to prove they do nest in Minnesota? OHHH its our fault =
because we are NOT birding in the right places. ALL Minnesota birders =
are NOT going to the right places at the right time because IF they were =
going to the right places at the right time they would find King Rails =
in every large marsh in Minnesota!  That is so FALSE!

Wow I am getting riled up here!

Also this is a solution for those that have issues with MOURC. Go to =
there meetings, email the chair privately about your concerns, go hug a =
MOURC member, or go shake their hand. Do anything other than point =
fingers without giving solutions. I hope these helpful suggestions help =
shake those revengeful feelings away or any vendettas you may feel =
towards MOURC.

Like I said birdwatching or birding umbrellas over everything in =
Minnesota including the science part. Its a hobby for us all, it =
shouldn't be this complex. Science is ok in birding but to tell MOURC =
members to stop acting like birders and start acting like ornithologists =
is not a good idea. Why? because the majority are just excellent birders =
and I know only one that has a ornithology degree and maybe one other. =
The rest have different backgrounds and are doing the best they can   to =
give an accurate picture of birds in Minnesota.=20

It really shouldn't be this complex because its really a simple hobby =
for all of us to enjoy. That is all!

Mike Hendrickson
The MOU field trip guy
Duluth

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C3F6D9.2EBC14C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The reason I responded to Jim Williams =
thoughts on=20
how birding is quite simple is because&nbsp;Jim's thoughts were so =
negative on=20
MOURC. I want to make people on this listserve that are enjoying this =
thread or=20
watching this thread to understand that birding in Minnesota is =
NOT&nbsp;complex=20
as some may want it to be and things going on with MOURC =
really&nbsp;shouldn't=20
effect the way you should enjoy this hobby.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The people who sit on MOURC except one =
or two=20
people consider&nbsp;birding as a&nbsp;hobby rather than a job. They are =

volunteering to do what is best for Minnesota birding. If you don't like =
how=20
they are doing things than offer solutions rather than point the finger. =
What=20
are your ideas to fix the problem? Laura offered an idea and some others =
have=20
done so too. I would like to hear solutions rather than commentary. I =
personally=20
feel everything is ok. MOURC is doing a good job, MOURC is not some =
"good ol=20
boys" committee. If you want to express your opinion than attend one of =
there=20
meetings! Didn't I already said this before?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My comments on the King Rail, since its =
being used=20
in arguments lately.&nbsp; It has been since 1992 since a King Rail was =
seen in=20
Minnesota. Ok are neighboring states have nesting King Rails,&nbsp; so =
are we to=20
just speculate that King Rails do nest in Minnesota? Is that science?=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also again if King Rails do nest in =
Minnesota where=20
are the records or the sightings to prove they do nest in Minnesota? =
OHHH its=20
our fault because we are NOT birding in the right places. ALL Minnesota =
birders=20
are NOT going to the right places at the right time because&nbsp;IF they =
were=20
going to the right places at the right time they would find King Rails =
in every=20
large marsh in Minnesota!&nbsp; That is so FALSE!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wow I am getting riled up =
here!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also this is a solution for those that =
have issues=20
with MOURC. Go to there meetings, email the chair privately about your =
concerns,=20
go hug a MOURC member,&nbsp;or go shake their hand.&nbsp;Do anything =
other than=20
point fingers without giving solutions. I hope these helpful suggestions =
help=20
shake those revengeful feelings away or any vendettas you may feel =
towards=20
MOURC.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Like I said birdwatching or birding =
umbrellas over=20
everything in Minnesota including the science part. Its a hobby for us =
all, it=20
shouldn't be this complex. Science is ok in birding but to tell MOURC =
members to=20
stop acting like birders and start acting like ornithologists is not a =
good=20
idea. Why? because the majority are just excellent birders and I know =
only one=20
that has a ornithology degree and maybe one other. The rest have =
different=20
backgrounds and are doing the best they can&nbsp;&nbsp; to give an =
accurate=20
picture of birds in Minnesota. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It really shouldn't be this complex =
because its=20
really a simple hobby for all of us to enjoy. That is all!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The MOU field trip guy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Duluth</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C3F6D9.2EBC14C0--