[mou] MOU Comments

Lisa Gelvin-Innvaer lisa.gelvin-innvaer@dnr.state.mn.us
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:45:35 -0600

re: "down grading the status of MOU from scientific organization to hard
core hobbyists"

Before we move down that path, I hope that MOU members will consider
remaining "big tent"  wherein different areas of focus are welcome. It
doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.  Bringing diverse groups together
is challenging but with commitment, in the end you get something really
great.

 I also encourage folks to consider that it may not be enough just to
love birds--that we need to care for them and their habitats too if we
want the objects of our birding passion to thrive for us and future
generations to enjoy.
There are so many pressures on birds and bird habitats. There is so
much that we still don't know.
  Although there are agencies and private organizations trying to
address  conservation and data needs, their efforts alone simply are not
sufficient.  The help of MOU and its members is needed and wanted. There
are many ways opportunities for this. Not everyone in MOU would need to
participate, but  hopefully it is a component of MOU that will remain
and grow.

Lastly, important messages are sent by our actions or inactions.
As a friend once said, "If it's not important enough for us to do
something about it,
 then maybe it's just not that important."

 Is that the message that folks want to send?

Lisa Gelvin-Innvaer
Courtland, MN

>>> Kelly Larson <larson@redwing.net> 2/20/2004 2:36:38 PM >>>

   Perhaps we may have to consider down grading the status of MOU
from scientific organization to hard core hobbyists. It's a shame,
MOU
should be able to support both. Each group has so much to offer the
other. With a little mutual support and positive input, these two
groups

could be working together for better birding, greater knowledge, and
conservation measures that keep pace with growing need.

Kelly Larson
Eagle Spot Festival
Great River Birding Festival
Great Minnesota Morel Festival

--
Visit Our Website
http://www.thefeatheredfriend.com

The 3rd Annual Great River Birding Festival Is Coming...
Hosted by Wabasha, MN on May 14-15-16 2004.
http://www.mississippi-river.org/birding/