[mou] Common Moorhen

Peter Hudleston hudle001@umn.edu
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:03:31 -0500

On Monday May 31 I found a Common Moorhen in Cottage Grove.  It was on a
pond (the smaller and most easterly body of water) on the north side of
100th St S, where the road crosses a marsh, about 1/3 mile east of
Jamaica Ave.  I had visited the area to check for Loggerhead Shrikes,
which have been seen in years past along 100th St S where it runs
parallel to the railroad tracks, although it has been several years
since I had seen one there.  I did find a shrike at the point where the
railroad track and road diverge (or converge going east), just up the
hill from the marsh.   In the same area was a Swainson's Hawk, which is
a regular summer resident here.