[mou] Chat, Blue Hill Trail, Sherburne NWR

Craig Menze tobylab69@hotmail.com
Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:17:23 -0500

<P>Yes the Chat is still present.&nbsp;&nbsp; We first heard off on the left hand trail and then got really great looks at it down on the right hand trail right where the trail is flooded over.<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Pastor Al" &lt;PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: &lt;mnbird@lists.mnbird.net&gt;, &lt;mou-net@cbs.umn.edu&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [mou] Chat, Blue Hill Trail, Sherburne NWR
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:26:24 -0500
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Walked Blue Hill Trail over an extended lunch hour today, birding, checking for the Chat and enjoying the cooler weather.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;May have heard the Chat 100+ yards away on the left hand side of the trail head twice - but distance and catbird presence makes me hesitant to state so definitively.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Eight warbler species (nine if one counts the YBC), numerous tanagers and an apparently nesting Broad-winged Hawk made the walk very pleasant.&nbsp;&nbsp;More heard than seen, however!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Be aware that there are about 25 trees down across the trail, and many sections are waterlogged (one was even flowing).
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Have noticed that singing Golden-winged significantly outnumber verbalizing Blue-winged throughout the open parts of Sherburne NWR - a trend that I'm heartily in favor of.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Good birding!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Al Schirmacher