[mou] McGregor Marsh, Aitkin Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:34:31

On Friday 6.11.04 Leslie Marcus, Susan Schumacher, and I went up to McGregor Marsh with hopes of hearing Yellow Rails call at the traditional spot from St. Hwy 210 Int with St. Hwy 65 going south for about 1.5 miles to the Soo Line Trail.  We hit heavy thunder/lightning storms early in the evening, and waited it out inside our rooms until 9:30 when the storm had passed, and continued our search.  We drove and walked both sides of the marsh hearing nothing-all quiet.  We returned to our room, set our alarms and returned back to the area at 1:30-2:30 am on 6.12.04, and what a difference a few hours made, it was unbelieveable!
Our persistence and patience paid off, and we were astounded as to the number of Yellow Rails we heard call.  We played NO tapes, and listened from the shoulder of the road driving about 50 feet at a time, then getting out to listen and walking about 50 feet ahead of the car listening on both sides of the road.   The Yellow Rails song was a constant tik-tik tiktiktik rhythm, and they were numerous, more on the east side of the road at each stop.  It was a great experience out there in the pitch dark of the early morning with the flickering of fireflys, and a flashlight listening to the harmony of the marsh birds.

This morning when we left McGregor we again stopped along the route to listen, and saw a Wilson's Phalarope walking along the edge in the gravel.  We pulled over in front of her and watched as she continued to pace back and forth calling into the marsh.  Then out stepped 3 of the tiniest little golden fuzz balls on legs we'd ever seen.  The parent wanted to cross the busy hwy and would lead the babies up to the side and start crossing, and a car would come streaming by and she'd fly up at the last minute.  After 2 attempts this was just to agonizing to watch their certain fate and Leslie and I stepped in.  We picked these sweet little chicks up and carried them to the other side of the marsh safely.  The parent then stopped flying back and forth overhead and settled into the marsh with the babies and they disappeared.  I'll always remember that softness in my hand that felt like I was being tickled by the wiggling chick peeking out!!!

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com