[mou] Aitkin County - 3/8/04

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 23:02:00 EST

-------------------------------1078804920

3/8/04

Enjoyed an exciting day birding in Aitkin County today with Leslie Marcus.
We encountered light snow for most of the day.  But the overcast sky's, may
have helped for some of the species we observed.  Although the highlight bird of
the day was observed in full sunlight.  After watching several Great Gray Owls
along CR 18, we headed back to Hyw 169 and at 4:25pm.  We observed a
Long-eared Owl, perched on a small snag in the open field on the North side of CR 18.
We observed the bird from a distance of about 25 or 30 feet, for about 10
minutes and departed with the Owl still sitting on its little perch.  Its the
first time I have ever encountered a Long-eared Owl in such an open area.  I have
observed this species on a nest not much more than a mile from this location
several years ago and hope that this one hangs around with that in mind.  We
also relocated the Snowy Owl previously reported by Warren Nelson along CR1 and
found a flock of Bohemian Waxwings in the town of Palisade.  Quit a wonderful
day all in all.  Thanks, for all those that previously posted and gave us the
inspiration to give the area one more try.

Aitkin County
@ Bald Eagle -3
@ Rough-legged Hawk - 8 light morph and 3 dark morph birds, with 5 of these
birds observed along CR 1.
@ Snowy Owl - 2:40 - 2:55pm - Sitting on top of 4th utility pole to the West
of CR 1, .6 miles North of CR 21.  This is more or less the same location of
@ Great Gray Owl - 1. 3:30 - 4:05pm - First observed sitting atop the 4th
utility pole to the East of Pietz's Road (320th PL) and then on top of a spruce
tree just south of the road.  2. 4:12 - 4:18pm - We were told about this bird
by 4 birders from the twin cities, only remember that ones name was Margaret.
This bird was observed sitting in an Aspen tree and remained in that location
during our observation and was still there when we departed.  This bird was
observed on the East side of Pietz's Road (320th PL), 1.8 miles North of CR 18.
@ Long-eared Owl - 4:25 - 4:41pm - This bird was observed on the North side
of CR 18, 1.7 miles East of Hyw 169.
@ Northern Shrike - 4 total, with 2 each on CR 1 and CR 18.
@ Black-billed Magpie - 3 birds were observed in flight along CR1 at 40th st.
@ Horned Lark - CR1
@ Bohemian Waxwing - 11:00am - NE corner of the town of Palisades.  The birds
were moving quit a bit during our observation.
@ Common Redpoll - several flocks observed in the town of Palisades.

Craig Mandel - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1078804920

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>3/8/04</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Enjoyed an exciting day birding in Aitkin County today with Leslie Marc=
us.&nbsp;&nbsp;We encountered light snow for most of the day.&nbsp; But the=20=
overcast sky's, may have helped&nbsp;for some of the species we observed.&nb=
sp; Although the highlight bird of the day was observed in full sunlight.&nb=
sp; After watching several Great Gray Owls along&nbsp;CR 18, we headed back=20=
to Hyw 169 and&nbsp;at 4:25pm.&nbsp; We observed a Long-eared Owl, perched o=
n a small snag in the open field on the North side of CR 18.&nbsp;&nbsp;We o=
bserved the bird from a distance of about 25 or&nbsp;30 feet, for about 10 m=
inutes and departed with the Owl still sitting on its little perch.&nbsp; It=
s the first time I have ever encountered a Long-eared Owl in such an open ar=
ea.&nbsp; I have observed this species on a nest not much more than a mile f=
rom this location several years ago and hope that this one hangs around with=
 that in mind.&nbsp;&nbsp;We also relocated the Snowy Owl previously reporte=
d by Warren Nelson along CR1 and found a flock of Bohemian Waxwings in the t=
own of Palisade.&nbsp; Quit a wonderful day all in all.&nbsp; Thanks, for al=
l those that previously posted and gave us the inspiration to give the area=20=
one more try.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Aitkin County</DIV>
<DIV>@ Bald Eagle -3</DIV>
<DIV>@ Rough-legged Hawk - 8 light morph and 3 dark morph birds, with 5 of t=
hese birds observed along CR 1.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Snowy Owl - 2:40 - 2:55pm - Sitting on top of 4th utility pole to the=
 West of CR 1, .6 miles North of CR 21.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is more or less the=20=
same location of previous postings.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Great Gray Owl - 1. 3:30 - 4:05pm - First observed sitting atop the 4=
th&nbsp;utility pole to the East of Pietz's Road (320th PL) and then on top=20=
of a spruce tree just south of the road.&nbsp; 2. 4:12 - 4:18pm - We were to=
ld about this bird by 4 birders from the twin cities, only remember that one=
s name was Margaret.&nbsp; This bird was observed sitting in an Aspen tree a=
nd remained in that location during our observation and was still there when=
 we departed.&nbsp; This bird was observed on the East side of Pietz's Road=20=
(320th PL), 1.8 miles North of CR 18.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Long-eared Owl - 4:25 - 4:41pm - This bird was observed on the North=20=
side of CR 18, 1.7 miles East of Hyw 169.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>@ Northern Shrike -&nbsp;4 total, with 2 each on CR 1 and CR 18.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Black-billed Magpie - 3 birds were observed in flight along CR1 at 40=
th st.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Horned Lark - CR1</DIV>
<DIV>@ Bohemian Waxwing -&nbsp;11:00am - NE corner of the town of Palisades.=
&nbsp; The birds were moving quit a bit during our observation.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Common Redpoll - several flocks observed in the town of Palisades.</D=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=