[mou] Bird identification--looks like fat junco

carol gurstelle crg1641@yahoo.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:50:08 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to identify a bird that has recently shown
up at our backyard feeder.  We've been calling it "fat
bird" or "sumo junco."  In coloration it looks like a
slate-colored junco--grey head, neck, back and wings.
The belly and underside of the tail are white.
However, it is larger than a junco or a house sparrow,
rounder and "fluffier" looking.  I thought it might be
a white-winged junco, but there is no white on the
wings.

Most often, it appears at our thistle feeder and
remains for 5-10 minutes.  I've also seen at the
feeder that has the typical sunflower-peanut
hearts-millet-corn mixture.    I've not seen it feed
on the ground and I've never seen more than one.

Carol Gurstelle
Roseville, MN