[mou] Birding today in Rice County

Dave Bartkey cerulean1966@msn.com
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:54:15 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C40884.F1DB4180

I everyone!
  I started off the day by adding a new backyard bird to my list when I =
heard something hammering on one of the dead trees across the road =
behind my apartment. There was a female Pileated Woodpecker there, and I =
was able to show my daughters and my wife the bird before they were off =
to school and work.
  I headed to River Bend Nature Center with great anticipation of seeing =
some heavy duty hawk migration, but was disappointed in the lack of =
numbers of raptors heading north. While I saw 11 Bald Eagles, I only saw =
one Red-tailed Hawk, and one Red-shouldered Hawk. I saw nothing else =
flying north other than about 20 Canada Geese and lots of jets! While at =
River Bend, I did see two Song Sparrows at their feeders. My first of =
the year. I also noticed very large numbers of Tree Sparrows at the =
feeders. I wondered if they were getting ready to head north as well.=20
  From there, I drove out to Wells Lake and saw hundreds of Canada =
Geese, 4 Greater White-fronted Geese, 1 Blue-phased Snow Goose, lots of =
Hooded Mergansers and Redheads, 1 Lesser Scaup, 2 Ring-necked Ducks, and =
a few Goldeneye. Not too bad considering the lack of open water. I =
searched high and low for a bluebird, but to no avail. Maybe =
tomorrow....

Good birding!
Dave Bartkey
Faribault, MN
cerulean1966@msn.com<mailto:cerulean1966@msn.com>=20

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C40884.F1DB4180

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace =
prefix=3D"v" /><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" /><![endif]-->
<DIV>I everyone!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I started off the day by adding a new backyard bird to my =
list when=20
I heard something hammering on one of the dead trees across the road =
behind my=20
apartment. There was a female Pileated Woodpecker there, and I was able =
to show=20
my daughters and my wife the bird before they were off to school and =
work.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I headed to River Bend Nature Center with great anticipation =
of=20
seeing some heavy duty hawk migration, but was disappointed in the lack =
of=20
numbers of raptors heading north. While I saw 11 Bald Eagles, I only saw =
one=20
Red-tailed Hawk, and one Red-shouldered Hawk. I saw nothing else flying =
north=20
other than about 20 Canada Geese and lots of jets! While at River Bend, =
I did=20
see two Song Sparrows at their feeders. My first of the year. I also =
noticed=20
very large numbers of Tree Sparrows at the feeders. I wondered if they =
were=20
getting ready to head north as well. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; From there, I drove out to Wells Lake and saw hundreds of =
Canada=20
Geese,&nbsp;4 Greater White-fronted Geese, 1 Blue-phased Snow Goose, =
lots of=20
Hooded Mergansers and Redheads, 1 Lesser Scaup, 2 Ring-necked Ducks, and =
a few=20
Goldeneye. Not too bad considering the lack of open water. I searched =
high and=20
low for a bluebird, but to no avail. Maybe tomorrow....</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good birding!</DIV>
<DIV>Dave Bartkey</DIV>
<DIV>Faribault, MN</DIV>