[mou] Guidelines

Rick Hoyme Rick.Hoyme@udlp.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:56:48 -0600

I disagree with what Mike has said about the guidelines. This list server =
was set up precicely to have a place for the reporting of rare and other =
"good" birds. The general birding and other topics are served well by the =
MNBird List Server which is available to anyone. MNBird has very few =
restrictions outside of SPAM. Eliminating or watering down the guidelines =
for MOUnet would duplicate MNBird, which is not necessary. Now, an =
occasional post, in Spring, of the more common species which indicate the =
progress of migration is not out of line, nor is including a common =
species in a list of "good" birds anything that should be of concern, but =
INHO posting your latest yard bird, or discussing your latest conservation =
effort or whatever should be done on MNBIrd, not MOUnet.

So, I encourage MOU to keep the guidelines and hope that as long as they =
are in place, people follow them.

Rick Hoyme

>>> "Michael Hendrickson" <smithville4@charter.net> 03/24/04 02:53PM >>>
Well at first I was reluctant to post this message since all I am going to =
mention is that today I heard a Red Wing Blackbird and saw some Robins. =
This my be old news for many in Minnesota but for birders in the NE =
Minnesota well that's a good spring sighting since I haven't heard of =
these being seen nor reported yet this spring season in Duluth.

The birds were in the Gary-New Duluth area.

Personally I would like to revisit the MOU listserve guidelines and do =
away with "post only birds that are unusual, or birds seen in unusual =
locations or out of season" To me that is CRAP!=20

<major snippage>

Mike Hendrickson