[mou] RE:Amer. Woodcock+off topic(long)

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc@hotmail.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:31:43 -0600

Thanks Bob and Shawn for the posts about Peenting,

I would also be interested in some reports from others on where some
reliable spots on public land near the Twin Cities metro area I could see
the dazzling displays of Woodcock. Thus far I have only seen them way up
north during hunting season behind a gun, a practice I no longer wish to
continue. (Woodcock do not taste real good, unless you love liver)

Now the long part:

As an aside relating to the current string of what are proper discussion
topics on the lists, would this kind of inquiry about where to find certain
types of birds be suitable material for the MOU list, or only MNBird? What
are others thoughts and feelings about this? Please reply in public as I
think a public discussion of what the lists ought to be about is worth
bringing out in the open.

I for one found out about MOU first and did not know of MNBird until I had
been birding in the state for a couple of years. I kept hearing birders I
met talk about it until I finally decided to find it online and sign up for
both lists. Before that, I was just an old-fashioined birder who just went
out and looked for birds! Noone told me where to go, I just wandered around
doing the best I could all on my own. Imagine that.

I typically only lurk on MOU, respecting the rare and unusual air it tries
to maintain (unless I think something is rare or unusual) and post my more
personal memorable outings on MNBird alone.

Besides not knowing aobut both lists, the problem with MOU is as a group, we
are of vastly different ability and experience levels (a big Duh, I know).
To a beginner, any new life lister would be considered rareand unusual, at
first. Until one has lots of field time or spends hours reading reports of
abundance charts for the state, how would you know? Most birders start
casually, and if they have a good or great time, get more into it as they go
along.

To encourage more birders and birding (Do ALL of us really want to do
that??? Or do we want to retain a feeling of exclusivity??) being accepting
of neophyte questions, joyful reports of common backyard birds and
mis-naming of birds - red breasted woodpecker comes to mind - is part of the
learning curve. To be smiled at and joyfully accepted as part of the growth
process for birders and birding.

It can be worthwhile to belong to both lists, as I see some apparently
don't.  Deleting emails you don't want to read is not that hard, and you can
also subscribe to the digest version and get the whole days worth in one
email.

My thoughts,

Jim in S. Mpls

>From: "Friauf, Chris" <Friauf.Chris@dorsey.com>
>To: 'Bob Dunlap' <rmdbird@mn.rr.com>
>CC: mnbird@lists.mnbird.net, mou-net@cbs.umn.edu
>Subject: RE: [mnbird] American Woodcock, Carver County
>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:48:51 -0600
>
>Thanks for your posting about the Woodcock, Bob.  Instead of turning in for
>the night at dusk (which I many times do), I'm now going to keep my ears
>open in the marsh behind my apartment complex in Minnetonka.  I also have
>known the Woodcock to "pass through" this marshy area, put on a good
>display
>for a couple of evenings and then move on!  Hearing the Woodcock is one of
>the first joys of spring in the rather wet marsh.
>
>Cheers and good birding to everyone!
>Chris

All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by
ESPN. http://msn.espn.go.com/index.html?partnersite=espn