[mou] Heard Birds

Jeff Price jtpbirder@yahoo.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:51:05 -0800 (PST)

--- Ann and Manley Olson <a_molson@unidial.com> wrote:
> Two experiences from yesterday that reinforce that
> one needs to exercise
> caution when identifying birds only by vocalizations
> heard. I heard what
> clearly sounded like an oriole,only to find it was a
> starling.I am sure that most of us have had
> similar experiences and it
> is just one of many things that might  help new
> birders.   Manley Olson

There are actually many mimics to be cautious about.
Starlings are one, nockingbirds of course and also
Lesser Goldfinches.  The key is in length of time you
listen.  In the case of both starling and Lesser
Goldfinch you shouldn't have to listen long to hear
the bird shift to something else.  For mockingbirds,
they tend to repeat everything three times before
moving on (and almost always get back to their own
song somewhere in there).  The times you have to be
most cautious is when you hear a phrase once, or only
hear a  piece of a phrase.

Jeff Price (currently in Belgium where spring is
underway)

=====
Jeff Price
Boulder, CO