[mou] Lesser Black-backed Gull - Superior Entry

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick@hotmail.com
Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:46:54 +0000

At about 3:45 Sunday afternoon, I found an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull at
the Superior Entry.  It was perched on the Minnesota breakwall.  I did an
initial scan from the base of the WI breakwater of the gulls standing at the
END of the Minnesota breakwater, and this bird stuck out like a sore thumb.
I was excited so I went as fast as I could over the treacherous rocks to
scan from the lighthouse at the end of the Wisconsin breakwater.  The gulls
were ultramellow, and the LBBG was at least partially obscured most of the
time by loafing Herring Gulls.  To make things more difficult, it was
resting with it's bill tucked in it's wing a lot as well.  But I did get to
see a red spot on a yellow bill, yellow legs, and a very dark gray (not as
black as GBBG or Scandinavian race of LBBG) back.  The bird was
approximately Herring Gull size, but again, being obscured, a perfect size
comparison was impossible.  All the gulls took off at about 4:20, and I did
not keep tabs on the LBBG.  1/2 the gulls went out to sea, and the other
half landed on the MN breakwater again, but I could not relocate the LBBG.

Also present:

1 1st Winter Thayer's Gull
1 1st Winter Glaucous Gull

Not present:
Great Black-backed Gull - this one will jinx me forever.

I did relocate the 1st Winter LBBG in Knife River today as well.
Gull city, baby!

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN

PS  Grand Marais festival was a blast!  Thank you, all!