[mou] Sax-Zim report

Becky becky_hylton@hotmail.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 04:08:04 -0600

Hi folks, I'm posting the following for one of my co-workers.

Cheers,
Becky Hylton

Hello fellow Minnesota birders,
       Spent Sunday cruising around the Sax-Zim area and Duluth with some
success.  Here's the run down for the Sax-Zim bog area:

Black-billed Magpies: 1 at Blue-Spruce Road/133 intersection
                            1 flyover on "Owl Ave"

Gray Jays:               A pair near Sax Rd/213 intersection

Bald Eagles:            About a dozen, allowing some good digi-scoping picts

Rough-legged hawks: 9 in total, throughout the area, 2 along County Highway
7 near Sax Rd
                              intersection perched within 40 meters of road

Boreal Chickadees:    NONE!!!  Lots of Black-caps but no luck!

Snow Buntings:       Seemed like they were everywhere, especially along
Admiral Rd and County
                            Highway 7.  In groups ranging from 6 to 30.

N. Hawk Owls:        4!!!  What a good day for hawk owls!  1 along field at
end of Blue-Spruce Rd.
                            1 along the east side of Admiral Road, near
where the giant power lines cross
                            the road.  2 along county road 7, between Stone
Lake Road & Sax Rd.  All were
                            perched near the tops of trees, easy to spot
when watching closely.

N. Shrikes:             1 perched in tree top on "Owl Ave".  1 perched in
tree top on Admiral Rd.

Fisher:                  Martes pennanti!!  The mammal, not the kingfisher.
It was an awesome look at
                          this large mammal, as it stood up in the road (OWL
AVE) and watched me, before
                          ducking into the woods!

Lots of 'regular birds' about, but no Great Grays or other owls (I tried!),
crossbills, redpolls, etc.  But I was mostly looking for owls so I could
have easily missed them.  Was sorry I didn't travel east of county road 7 on
Arkola, maybe I would have seen the GG Owl.  Searched many conifer stands at
Hawk Ridge for Saw-whets and long-eared owls, but no luck.  400 miles of
driving, and all-in-all, a pretty good day!

Happy Halloween and Good birding!

Jason Hill