[mou] Great Gray Owls

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:17:35 -0600

Birding in Lake and St. Louis counties this weekend, I found two Great
Gray Owls along Lake County Road 4 out of Silver Bay, the first 14
miles from SB, the second 7 miles out. Between those birds, 12 miles
out, was a Northern Hawk-Owl. A Great Gray Owl was seen at Tom's
Logging Camp along Highway 61 this morning at about 6:30. Another Great
Gray was seen two hours later near the Sucker River bridge on Highway
61. Two hours after that, two Great Grays were seen in a yard near the
mile 14 marker on Highway 61, just west of the river. The owners of
this property say they have had daily visits (just before sunrise and
late afternoon, sometimes both in the same day) by a Great Gray Owl for
the past week. The owls have been hunting rodents beneath several bird
feeders on the property. Another Great Gray was found in a meadow at
1839 Lake County Road 12 (distance from Highway 61 unknown). The bird
methodically hunted in the meadow for about an hour.

A photographer from Iowa told me of seeing three Great Grays along St.
Louis County Road 7 through the Sax-Zim area early Saturday morning. He
did not have specific locations. Several hawk-owls were seen in the
Sax-Zim area on Saturday. I suspect they are among those previously
reported.

Jim Williams
Wayzata