[mou] north dakota

Steve and Sherry Watson watsup@boreal.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:50:24 -0800

	Hello,

This last week I spent some time in southwestern North Dakota with my
dad and grandpa.  On Wednesday the 10th around 8:00 a.m. in the yard of
the bead and breakfast we were staying at I found an adult, in full
breeding plumage black throated blue warbler.  I observed it for about
fifteen or twenty minutes foraging along a line of spruce trees.  I
could see plainly its blue upperparts and black chin and throat
extending down the flanks and its bright white underside.  When it
fluttered it showed the white on the outer tail feathers.  It came in as
my second best ever view of that species as the first BTBW I ever saw
was even closer.  That was a couple years ago along the Kekakabik {not
sure how to spell it} trail up the gunflint.  I had been standing on a
downed tree and it floated down and landed five feet away bellow me and
sat their for fifteen to twenty minutes singing.   I am not exactly sure
how rare this is but if anyone could tell me the address for the North
Dakota list serve {if they have one} so that I could report it.  Also if
anyone now's the statues of this bird in North Dakota {regular, casual,
accidental} and how many times it's been recorded in the state if it's
casual or accidental.  Also saw a falcon species that could have been
prairie, peregrine, and even gyr, but I never did see it well enough as
it was pursuing a pheasant and almost caught it.  There were lots of
golden eagles, a couple swainson's hawks, a few great horned owls, and a
short-eared owl.  Good birding, and thanks for any information on the
btbw.

Josh Watson
Grand Marais

---