[mou] Another opinion on the hummingbird

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:07:12 -0600

Donald E. Mitchell, who has banded Selasphorus hummingbirds in California
while doing graduate research, writes, "I reviewed the photos and agree
with Mike Patterson that it is rufous/allen's. While I agree that the "five
o'clock shadow" effect of the throat point towards immature male, typically
that sex/age class has fewer scattered iridescent feathers, rather that the
large central grouping that this bird has, which is more typical of adult
females. Notice I used typically/typical in the last sentence--I have seen
many Selasphorus in-hand that turned out not to be what I had initially
thought. There are many birds that don't look like the typical birds
photographed for Williamson's and Howell's guides, a point I believed is
stressed in both guides. The degree of "shadow" in the throat seems to be
more variable than some of the other characters. That said, I have never
examined immature males this late in the year and it may be this bird is an
immature male that has accumulated enough iridescent throat feathers for
them to coalesce into a patch--Nancy Newfield would be a good source for
more information on this, since she handles many Selasphorus at this time
of year. It may also be that a bird this late this far north would more
likely be an immature bird. At any rate, I think we can rule out immature
female! I don't, however, think that Allen's can be ruled out. Contrary to
what Mike wrote, I wouldn't rule out Allen's based on the width of the
rectrices, especially if it is an adult female. Width of rectrices varies
by sex and age class, with females having broader tail feathers than males.
If it shows up again, try to get some tail shots!

It's been coming all morning, but stays still only a second before flitting
off again--I've never seen such a skittish bird.  I'm still trying to get a
photo of the spread tail.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

NOTE address change: bluejay@lauraerickson.com

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson