[mou] Hummingbird back, November 22

Laura Erickson chickadee@lauraerickson.com
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:27:28 -0600

She first appeared this morning at 7:10.  The temperature didn't drop
nearly as much as forecast--it was 30 degrees when I woke up.  I mashed up
mealworms to put in her favorite feeder, where she always comes first, but
she seemed somewhat disturbed that it wasn't the same as she expected, and
only sampled it a bit before moving to a "real" feeder.  She came back a
little while later and sipped again, but didn't take the long drinks there
that she usually does.  I'll see if she adjusts to it as the morning goes
on.  Meanwhile, I removed a few of the feeders that she seldom visits,
partly in hopes that she'll think her food resources are drying up and it's
time to move on, and partly so my mother-in-law won't have so much to
attend to.  There should be some insect activity today, because the
temperature is supposed to reach the 40s and it's nice and sunny.  I'm
hoping today will be the day that I can write, "Last seen at 10:00 am,"
which will mean she's moved on.

The photos we have so far seem to all support Rufous, but because of the
variation among individuals, I don't think we've entirely ruled out the
unlikely possibility of Allen's--there looks like there just may be a notch
in the R2 feather in the photos I took yesterday, but the photos aren't
crisp enough for certainty.  With the sunny and (relatively) balmy
conditions forecast today (the last day expected to be like this for a
while), maybe she'll preen once or twice, if anyone happens to be around
with a camera.  I'll be pretty busy, but will at least try to get another
few photos.

Today will be the last day I post about her or update the webpage until I
return next Wednesday morning.  Val Cunningham will keep the lists updated
as much as possible.  Please post any new information you happen to notice,
which I will at least get to see when I return.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson