[mou] 16 Great Gray & 5 Northern Hawk-owls at Sax Zim

heidi hughes 4eagles@nelson-tel.net
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:34:04 -0600

My husband and I spent Thursday at Sax Zim bog and spotted 4
Rough-legged Hawks, 2 flocks of horned larks and 16 Great Gray Owls and
5 Northern Hawk-owls.  The skys were overcast and gray.

10am - 1 GG on the (right) north side of 133 just past the cemetery and
ball park (in the first boggy area - by the eastern tree line) as you
drive in from US 53.  About 100 yard from the road.

We drove to Meadowlands and up to Owl Ave and saw several Rough-legged
Hawks.

12:30pm - 1 hawk-owl hunting from a utility pole on the west side of
the railroad tracks across from Byrnes Greenhouse.

1pm - 1 hawk-owl hunting from a utility pole about a mile from Hwy 7
on Stone Lake road

  2:25 to 3:30 pm - 7 GGs  on the road to Melrude, hunting from perches
(10-20 feet up) within 5 - 10 yards from the road.  1 GG just past the
Melrude cemetery.

3:40 pm - 1 GG on the south side of Arcola about a mile east of Perry
Rd.

4:10pm  2  hawk-owls on Hwy 7 a mile south of the Byrnes Greenhouse -
one on the east side of the road on the utility wire, the other on the
west side on the utility poles by the railroad tracks (the one on the
west side may be the same one we saw at 12:30pm)

4:20pm   2 GGs (continuing our drive north towards Byrnes Greenhouse,
One 1/2 mile on the west side on the utility pole, the other 1/4 mile
on the east side on the utility wire.

4:28pm  1 hawk-owl, hunting from the last tree in the front yard of the
house at Byrnes Greenhouse - overlooking the field on the east side of
the road.

4:45- 5:15pm  4 GGs on the east side of Hwy 7 between the Greenhouse
and Stone Lake Road.

Heidi Hughes
PO Box 158
Nelson, WI  54756