[mou] Aitkin Owls

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:34:32 -0600

Today Jeff Stephenson, John Hockema, Carol Schumacher, my brother and I went
owling in Aitkin County.  On the way up, we observed one of the Townsend's
Solitaires at its residence along the Ann Lake Campground Road near Sherburne
NWR, Sherburne County.  In Aitkin County, we found 5 Great Gray Owls and 4
Northern Hawk Owls, plus one Great Horned Owl. Locations:

-Refound the Northern Hawk Owl along the main refuge road in Rice Lake NWR about
half a mile west of the visitor's center
-Found another Hawk Owl on the east side of Hwy. 65 about 3 miles north of
McGregor
-Another Hawk Owl 2 miles south of CR 18 on the east side of Hwy. 169
-Another Hawk Owl 2.5 miles south of CR 18 on the east side of Hwy. 169

-Observed 4 Great Gray Owls along CR 18 between Pietz's Road and Hwy. 169
-Found another Great Gray along CR 1, 1.5 miles south of its intersection with
CR 3

-One Great Horned Owl perched on a telephone pole on the west side of Hwy. 169
about a fourth mile north of CR 11

-Bob Dunlap, temporarily in Carver County