[mou] Evening and Pine Grossbeaks

Tom Crumpton reforest@wiktel.com
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:33:49 -0600

Koochiching County Rainy River:  I'm feeding about 40-50 Evening
Grossbeaks at my feeder.  I see they are listed as uncommon in Kooch
county by c.b.s.  I've fed them in these numbers for years.  Pine
Grossbeaks have been around for a month or better, however I have not
seen them at my feeder yet. Snow Buntings still around and expected to
be for the rest of winter if it follows other years patterns.  Other
things that maybe of interest?
Rainy River Pelicans can be seen in the hundreds  in spring mid april
into May) before Rainy Lake and Lake of the Woods open up.  (25 years
ago they were relatively rare on the Rainy river).
Eagles now have active nests within a mile of each other in places here
(many are visible from highway 11, what is normal territory of eagle
pairs?). They can be viewed year round in some places up here.
There was some talk early this year of the scarcity of hummingbirds up
north (G.R. area),  I went through 20+  lbs of sugar in August this summer.
If anyone is interested in seeing any of these things feel free to get
in touch.
Tom