[mou] Ross/Snow conundrum, Wabasha County

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick@hotmail.com
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:34:22 +0000

At about 5PM Sun evening I watched a white goose fly in (relatively) close
to the road at Weaver Bottoms along Hwy 61.  My general impressions were of
a rounded head, small pink bill lacking a grinning patch (though I was far
from the bird), and no rusty coloration in the head.  However the bird
seemed substantially larger than any of the species of ducks (100's of
dabblers present).  The bird was actively feeding most of the time so head
and neck characteristics were a little hard to determine.  I'd appreciate
any impressions anyone else gets of this bird.  Is it possibly a Ross X
Lesser Snow Hybrid (see Sibley p. 79)?

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN