[mou] North Shore birds - Saturday

Jim Lind jslind@frontiernet.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:07:06 -0500

Sorry for the late post, but I birded up the North Shore on Saturday
and saw a few things.  At dawn there was one Short-eared Owl over
Lake Superior at Good Harbor Bay, and another came in off the lake at
the Grand Marais campground about 15 minutes later.  Sharon was at
Split Rock State Park at about 9:00 am and also saw one heading down
the shore.  We saw another Short-eared at Castle Danger at dusk on
Saturday, and this evening there was one about 2 miles north of Two
Harbors along CR12.  With all the birds seen at 40th Ave West and
other spots in Duluth recently, it seems like a big Short-eared
migration this fall.

There were 6 Surf Scoters and a flyby White-winged Scoter at Paradise
Beach on Saturday, and a lone Surf Scoter at Good Harbor Bay.  A
female Black-backed Woodpecker was at the Grand Marais campground and
the Am. White Pelican was still in the harbor (I was told that the
local fishermen are feeding it about 3 herring a day).

Jim Lind
Two Harbors