[mou] More Sprague's Pipit details

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:13:27 -0500

For anyone interested, here's a copy of my field notes from yesterday.

-pale buff color overall
-prominent black eye on an otherwise blank face, reminiscent of an Upland
Sandpiper's face
-streaked crown, streaked back, streaked nape; overall entire upperparts very
patterned
-pale orange bill slightly thicker than bill of American Pipit and somewhat
decurved
-outer tail feathers white, inner tail feathers dark; striking pattern that
contrasts with pale buffy body
-pale pinkish legs
-when flushed, the bird would pop up from the ground, then fly upward in an
undulating pattern, then drop to the ground in a "stair-step" style
-when on the ground, the bird would stay low and walk a few feet, then stop and
stand upright, exposing its head above the short grasses in an alert posture
-in flight, body seemed chunky and tail appeared long

If you're interested in photographing the bird, I'd suggest walking the
fenceline I described and waiting for the bird to fly up, then land down again,
then slowly creep up to the spot where it landed.  If the bird landed in short
grass, wait for it to stick its head up.  Yesterday the bird was very
cooperative and easily photographable, but as always, none of us had a camera
handy. Hope this helps.  I'll be going back next weekend to look for Smith's
Longspurs there, and I'll definitely put in an effort to refind this bird.
-Bob Dunlap, Nicolett County