[mou] Common Ground-Dove still in Lake Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:02:41

This morning Leslie Marcus, Doug Kieser and I refound the Common Ground-Dove at 11:00 am in Lake Co.  It was seen along Mn Hwy 61, just south of mile marker # 48 on the lakeside.  There is a blue sign with three fire numbers on it 4288, 4292, and 4268 on the right.  There is a gravel driveway with a brown garage with double tan doors on the corner.  We saw this small stocky Common Ground-Dove walking on this driveway, and fly into a nearby shrub when we approached.  Then it flew back to the opposite side of the driveway, and walked around on a dirt hillside about 20 feet away offering us great binocular looks while we stood still watching it nonchalantly peck off the ground.  When it flew we saw the the rufous primaries, and the short dark rounded tail with the white corners.  While it walked around and pecked at the ground we could see the scaled gray crown and nape, and the bicolored orange/red bill that was black tipped.  The breast was scaled
and a peachy/pink color that continued into the belly.  We had about 5 minute to observe the Common Ground-Dove before a truck pulled into the driveway, and scared it off into the woods.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty.
connyb@mycidco.com