[mou] Good Bird Questions

Pastor Al PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:28:43 -0500

What's the first question that an incoming birder asks you as you're
leaving?:

"Any good birds?"

How does one answer that question?  "They're all good" sounds sanctimonious.
Sharing your best bird from the location leaves you open to subtle scorn or
a game of one-uppance (you can see it in their eyes, "is that all"?).
Replying with a question may only delay the inevitable.

So, this leads me to two highly philosophical questions on this rainy
afternoon (while stapling membership applications together):

* In your opinion, what constitutes a good bird?

* How do you answer the question?

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties
pastoral@princetonfreechurch.net

(55 Bonapartes on a sewage pond were my best birds over lunch hour - but are
they "good" birds?)