[mou] Thayer's Gulls at Lake Calhoun

Warren Woessner WWoessner@slwk.com
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:32:48 -0500

The Lesser Black Backed Gull was on Calhoun at about 415 PM Sat.
Warren Woessner

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu] On
Behalf Of rdunlap@gac.edu
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 7:06 PM
To: mou-net@cbs.umn.edu
Subject: [mou] Thayer's Gulls at Lake Calhoun

This evening I observed two juvenile/1st winter Thayer's Gulls at Lake
Calhoun
in Hennepin County.  They were hanging out among the Herring Gulls,
which were
separated from the larger flock of Ring-billed Gulls.  Both birds were
fairly
easy to pick out from the juvenile/1st winter Herring Gulls; the
cream-colored
primaries showed little contrast with the rest of the body on both
birds.  When
flying, the primary and secondary pattern was also easy to see on each
bird.=20
Unfortunately, I did not find the Lesser Black-backed Gull, but there
were
still birds flying in at 5:45 as I left the area.
-Bob Dunlap, Nicolett County