[mou] Lake Co. L. Black-backed Gull relocated

Jim Lind jslind@frontiernet.net
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:47:19 -0500

This evening Tom Auer and I relocated the 1st-winter Lesser Black-
backed Gull at the mouth of the Knife River, originally found
yesterday by Chris Wood.  Although I've never seen one in this
plumage, we saw most of the field marks including darker mantle,
rounder head, and slightly smaller body size than Herring Gull, pale
rump, a thin all-black bill, and lack of obvious "windows" on the
inner primaries in flight.

At dusk there was a lone Cattle Egret at Agate Bay in Two Harbors
roosting on the old concrete pier.  It might be one of the five birds
seen in town over the weekend.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors