[mou] Three-toed Woodpecker

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 16:38:00 -0500

Yesterday evening(Sept. 3) I headed up to Big Falls after classes. My mom
met me in Park Rapids, and we went up together. We got to the traditional
location on CR 13, 2.3 miles south of CR 1 around 7 P.M. Soon after we
arrived we found a male Three-toed on the west side of the road. We watched
him for a bit when another woodpecker came flying in. I expected it to be
another 3-toed, but after I looked at it for a second, I realized it was a
male Black-backed. The Black-backed seemed agitated as it did a rattle call,
and chipped a few times. The Black-backed flew to the same tree as the
Three-toed. It dawned on me that this might be the only time in my life I'll
ever see a Black-backed and Three-toed on the same tree. It was neat seeing
some of the differences between the two. The Black-backed flew and chased
the Three-toed around a bit, and eventually the Black-backed dissapeared
into the woods. The Three-toed stuck around a bit longer, but then flew off
into the depths of the forest also. The Three-toed never made a noise the
entire time I was there.

Ben Fritchman
Now in Fargo, ND