[mou] Lark Bunting - St. Louis Co. - Duluth - 40th Ave. (Erie Pier)

M. Thomas Auer t_auer@lycos.com
Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:50:32 -0600

After my Jaeger sighting, I decided to head down to 40th Ave and give it a good walk. I was 3/4 the way around and telling myself what a miserable waste of time it had been, when a bird dropped down on the road in front of me. It was a Juvenile Lark Bunting. It stayed there (amazingly, since it was very windy) for a good couple of minutes and let me look at it through my scope. All the key marks were there. The bird eventually got up and flew to the embankment to my right and out of my sight. If you park at the Yellow Gate and walk in, you'll head straight at the pier as you cross the railroad tracks. You can go left (towards water)or right, paralleling the train tracks. Go right, and just past the first corner was where I saw the bird. There are others already out there in search of the bird.

Good Luck!
Tom Auer